We have 1 day to go. The Countdown is almost over. Players are warming up, doing push-ups, jump-and-jacks and all of the above while their wives apply their 5th layer of foundation. Meanwhile you’re boarding the plane to the biggest sporting event of the world. Wait; what’s that now? You’re not? Well that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the festivities anyway! If you’re planning on going crazy at home this year for the World Cup 2014, we’ve compiled a list of all the essentials you’ll need so you’ll not need to envy the lucky guys in Rio. Who needs the sun anyway? And the electric atmosphere and the succulent spiced chicken and…Alright, maybe it won’t quite rival the real deal, but we don’t see why you can’t have a great time in your humble abode!
1. Mouth-Watering Takeout. Seamless has to be #1 on your bookmarked site list for this World Cup season. There’s no time for that cooking malarkey, your country needs you on the sidelines! In a sense…
2. A Great Watch. Time keeping is integral whilst watching the big games, and in the immortal words of Aerosmith you ‘Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing’. You’ll be sure to never miss a moment of the World Cup with this hunk of a Super Powered Watch by Hublot.
3. A Rule Book. You’re on the edge of your seat. The game is reaching stoppage time and the score is 0-0. The goal-keeper has the ball and he’s…going for goal?! He’s jolting through the whole rival team, and he’s about to enter the penalty area, this is a first ever! And suddenly your sister stands in front of you and asks “What is an off-side?” Once you brush her away, it is all said and done. The goalkeeper made history and you missed everything. Don’t let it happen again. Keep one of these on your coffee table in case of misinformed relatives.
4. A Ball. If you’re anything like us here at DOWNTOWN, you may have found yourself immersed in a game thinking “gee, this looks so easy, I’m sure I could do better.” Well, stop your wondering, get outside and see if you can be the next Maradona. You never know, that could be you on the pitch in the next tournament. It’s doubtful, but you’ll never know if you don’t try. Plus, the World Cup ball by adidas is a sporting stunner.
5. An Alcoholic Beverage. Let’s be honest, what’s an event like this without a fabulous cocktail? Brazil is hosting this year, so bring a taste of South America home with this mouth watering cachaça and rustle up a caipirinha. Whether you find yourself tipsy, elated with a win, or on the floor drowning your sorrows because your team missed that open goal, you won’t regret purchasing this punchy alcoholic beverage.
Just in case these finds don’t entice you to stay home for the World Cup, why not check out our top 5 places to see the games downtown right here?